Just got a tablet. and it doesnt run apparatus well

Just got a tablet. and it doesnt run apparatus well

Postby Morbid1 » 04 Oct 2012, 03:42

I'm stumped, I went out and got a galaxy tab 2 7.0 (1.GB RAM, dual core 1 GHz processor ) in anticipation for principia and it can barely run apparatus! Im running the levels i submitted at around 5 fps, on my droid X2 it does'nt lag a bit. Im about to return it, can any tech wiz's offer any advice?
-Kevin
Morbid1

Re: Just got a tablet. and it doesnt run apparatus well

Postby smivps2 » 04 Oct 2012, 13:21

Morbid1 wrote:I'm stumped, I went out and got a galaxy tab 2 7.0 (1.GB RAM, dual core 1 GHz processor ) in anticipation for principia and it can barely run apparatus! Im running the levels i submitted at around 5 fps, on my droid X2 it does'nt lag a bit. Im about to return it, can any tech wiz's offer any advice?

your not alone there is a few of us who have, or bought one for apparatus. Something about it not being able to use the dual core processors makes it not work as well. Exactly says they should run principia much better. There is a post hidden in another around here somewhere about that.
smivps2

Postby Morbid1 » 04 Oct 2012, 19:02

smivps2 wrote:
Morbid1 wrote:I'm stumped, I went out and got a galaxy tab 2 7.0 (1.GB RAM, dual core 1 GHz processor ) in anticipation for principia and it can barely run apparatus! Im running the levels i submitted at around 5 fps, on my droid X2 it does'nt lag a bit. Im about to return it, can any tech wiz's offer any advice?

your not alone there is a few of us who have, or bought one for apparatus. Something about it not being able to use the dual core processors makes it not work as well. Exactly says they should run principia much better. There is a post hidden in another around here somewhere about that.

That doesnt make in incredible abount of sense.... because my droid X2 also has dual cores... and I
Can run apparatus like a champ. Well hopefully that is true, cause right now its just sitting on my dresser collecting dust (I think tablets are overrated). Thanks alot for the reply, I'm going to go see if I can find that post.
-Kevin
Morbid1

Postby smash101 » 05 Oct 2012, 16:58

Here is the post.
sdac wrote:
smash101 wrote:A quad core processor sounds good but a lot af games/apps only use one core at a time making the quad core half as powerful as a dual core, please correct me if im wrong. Will principia use more then one core?

If an app uses only one core of a quad core, that will not be half as powerful as a dual core. If you have a quad core 1.5GHz processor and use only one core, that core is 1.5GHz. Same with a dual core, either core is 1.5GHz. A quad core does not mean that the 1.5GHz is split between the cores, they all run at the same speed in parallel, the clock frequency is shared.
However, badly designed hardware or drivers might lower the clock speed and enter power save mode if only one core is working. That would be erroneous behaviour, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Principia uses one thread for physics, one for graphics, one for sound effects, one for everything else (network, GUI).
You will only benefit slightly from a multicore processor.

The reason why the physics isn't split up between many cores is because that would cause the physics simulation to act differently depending on the timing of the cores. I want a simulation to run identically every time you restart it, otherwise it is very hard to build Rube Goldberg machines.

You can tune the physics per-level though, so if you want 1000 balls bouncing you can tune down the physics to the lowest and it will run fine. If you want to build a robot arm you tune up the physics to get better precision. You will never need the power of many cores since you can just tune the physics settings depending on what you are building.

Running the physics on one core only also saves you battery life.
If you cant build it, Dont post it.
To See My Levels Please Click Here!
smash101

Postby Morbid1 » 05 Oct 2012, 19:36

smash101 wrote:Here is the post.
sdac wrote:
smash101 wrote:A quad core processor sounds good but a lot af games/apps only use one core at a time making the quad core half as powerful as a dual core, please correct me if im wrong. Will principia use more then one core?

If an app uses only one core of a quad core, that will not be half as powerful as a dual core. If you have a quad core 1.5GHz processor and use only one core, that core is 1.5GHz. Same with a dual core, either core is 1.5GHz. A quad core does not mean that the 1.5GHz is split between the cores, they all run at the same speed in parallel, the clock frequency is shared.
However, badly designed hardware or drivers might lower the clock speed and enter power save mode if only one core is working. That would be erroneous behaviour, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Principia uses one thread for physics, one for graphics, one for sound effects, one for everything else (network, GUI).
You will only benefit slightly from a multicore processor.

The reason why the physics isn't split up between many cores is because that would cause the physics simulation to act differently depending on the timing of the cores. I want a simulation to run identically every time you restart it, otherwise it is very hard to build Rube Goldberg machines.

You can tune the physics per-level though, so if you want 1000 balls bouncing you can tune down the physics to the lowest and it will run fine. If you want to build a robot arm you tune up the physics to get better precision. You will never need the power of many cores since you can just tune the physics settings depending on what you are building.

Running the physics on one core only also saves you battery life.

Thanks for that. But since the two devices i have have the same number of cores that post shouldnt apply here, my tablet should be twice the power of my phone, but runs appararus less than half as well. I will supply the specs for both below.

My phone http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motoro ... -X2_id5235

My tablet. http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite ... ?type=find
-Kevin
Morbid1

Postby smash101 » 05 Oct 2012, 23:47

I believe its to do with the amount of pixels on your larger screen, each frame has to be redrawn, more pixels=longer draw time and will slow down frame rate. If sdac has included a non textured back ground in principia then the fps should be a lot better. Please anyone correct the above if you think its incorrect.
smash101

Postby smash101 » 05 Oct 2012, 23:52

Also check your devices hardware specs (settings/hardware information) as some devices with the same name are shipped to different countries/carrier's with different specs.
smash101

Postby Morbid1 » 06 Oct 2012, 03:01

smash101 wrote:Also check your devices hardware specs (settings/hardware information) as some devices with the same name are shipped to different countries/carrier's with different specs.

Good point, ill do that.
And there is a setting on apparatus to remove the textured background, I turned every graphics setting off/down and I was still getting substandard fps. I even adjusted the power settings on the CPU, still no obvious change. I'm going to hold on to it till Principia launches, just to see how it performs.
-Kevin
Morbid1

Postby Auror » 06 Oct 2012, 03:40

I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1, the first one. It runs Apparatus just fine with everything on high. I don't think Tab 2 should run it any slower. So I'm not sure whats happening here.
Auror

Postby Morbid1 » 06 Oct 2012, 17:05

Auror wrote:I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1, the first one. It runs Apparatus just fine with everything on high. I don't think Tab 2 should run it any slower. So I'm not sure whats happening here.

Exactly my point. It makes no sense to me..... could the file be corrupt? I'm getting desparate.
-Kevin
Morbid1

Next

Return to General chat