Help us! We need tutorials and example levels!

Re: Help us! We need tutorials and example levels!

Postby zardOz » 15 Dec 2013, 11:48

Considering the incredible challenge of this ambitious parts list, build program and multi-platforming I'd say you are doing a spectacular job so far with the user interface, the pull out menu is fantastic! However if you have 10 to 12 free hours I'm sure I ccould suggest some things;)

My brain tells me that you have new players leaving in droves or not giving you a chance for the overwhelming nature of the beast, the sooner you get all of the object descriptions up the better, also you may want to tone down the tech lingo... words like coefficient are scary! No reason not to use some softer terms in most cases.
New to Principia? Check out my extensive Parts Tutorials, Tricks and Examples
My Apparatus Engineering series : The Way Things Work zardOz on Apparatus
zardOz

Postby pajlada » 15 Dec 2013, 11:56

zardOz wrote:Considering the incredible challenge of this ambitious parts list, build program and multi-platforming I'd say you are doing a spectacular job so far with the user interface, the pull out menu is fantastic! However if you have 10 to 12 free hours I'm sure I ccould suggest some things;)

My brain tells me that you have new players leaving in droves or not giving you a chance for the overwhelming nature of the beast, the sooner you get all of the object descriptions up the better, also you may want to tone down the tech lingo... words like coefficient are scary! No reason not to use some softer terms in most cases.

last week, we made sure all objects at least have a basic object description.
the 1.2.4 patch is taking longer than anticipated because the static object optimization is very tricky, and we need to make sure it doesn't break any existing levels.
our goal for the object description is to, where possible, split it up into two parts
the first section with a small description of the object, and the second with a more in-depth explanation of its inputs and outputs.
This is an example of the new AND gate description:

Outputs 1 when both of its inputs are 1.

Advanced help:
Binary device. If both IN0 and IN1 is 1, output 1. Otherwise output 0.
Since this is a binary device, the input value is rounded so any value above 0.5 is equal to 1.
IN0: Value A
IN1: Value B
OUT0: A AND B
pajlada

Postby zardOz » 15 Dec 2013, 11:59

Much better, well I hope you're getting at least as much sleep as me, take it easy guys, youve earned a break or five!
zardOz

Postby TechZ » 15 Dec 2013, 19:07

Hey guys !
I'm actually working in a big tutorial level that explain step by step how to build 10 basics things, like a car, a hoverboard, a gravity controller or a cursor following space ship. I'm making it in 3 languages : English, french and spanish. As you could imagine, its a bit long to do because I have to do each thing 3 times.
What do you think about it ?
HI EVERYBODY !

I am TechZ !
If you like amazing levels, nice concepts and huge creations, be sure toSUSCRIBE TO ME !
Don't be shy and comment in my levels !

RIP zardOz. Thank you so much for everything, I will never forget you.
TechZ

Postby zardOz » 15 Dec 2013, 21:28

Thats a great Idea TZ, Im sure your efforts will be greatly appreciated!
zardOz

Postby zardOz » 15 Dec 2013, 21:31

I suggest a load in auto-prompt with a three language choice box... that way you wont have to track/edit and publish three...
zardOz

Postby Anarkuz » 16 Dec 2013, 07:56

I can help out with descriptions, just post a list of what objects need better descriptions and I'll get started. I have a bachelors in marketing and majored in networking and cpu science. I'll whip something up. If you could send me the game for Linux I could hop in and contribute code and bug fixes, no payment needed. I don't have time to build much but I have plenty of time to code lol
Anarkuz

Postby yong » 16 Dec 2013, 11:36

well guys, I'm an Indonesian, I don't speak really good English for sure. But if you guys wanna made tutorial about timer (for example), I want it sounds like this... "This a timer, like it's name, it's used to control timing in level. Stuffs that work with this tool are bla bla bla. You can control the timing by hitting the gear button on the option. Simply connect the out0 of the timer to in0 to other stuff to make it works, etc." Of course you guys could make a better description. I've a lot of friends being shocked with what this game could offer, but they give up just after they read all those out0,out2 whatsoever if you guys know what I mean. I believe some of them have brilliant ideas about what to build, only if they understand what the stuffs are used for. It just my point of view, you guys know what to do.
yong

Postby pajlada » 16 Dec 2013, 14:03

I've compiled the object descriptions as they are in the upcoming patch; if you'd like to read through it and see if it's any part that you think can be phrased better then please reply here.
http://principiagame.com/descriptions.html
pajlada

Postby zardOz » 16 Dec 2013, 14:56

Long list will take awhile to go over, for the most part it's much better, didnt get a chance to read them all. I suggest linking this list in the help page so that people can print it out.

The half-packs need some kind of example reference I still have no idea what those are used for!

Trying to think of a simple practical example for sparsifier+, google retrurns all Principia stuff lol....hmm, ok got one.
A toggler is run to a Y splitter, one out feeds a motor on/off control, the other out is fed to a Sparsifier+ and then to the In1 on a Digital display with 2 positions "0" and "1" set to wrap around. Now when the toggle is switched a "1" will appear on the digital display indicating the motor is on and it will send another signal to the diplay turning it back to 0 when the toggler is switched back off.
zardOz

PreviousNext

Return to Principia