Help us! We need tutorials and example levels!

Help us! We need tutorials and example levels!

Postby sdac » 12 Nov 2013, 18:14

We really need tutorials and example levels. Something that introduces the signaling system and how to build basic stuff, example levels anything from a debugger connected to a button to a controllable car. We have http://principiagame.com/help/ but it's not very helpful.

We work as hard as we can on writing the object descriptions, and are very busy working on the new objects (magnets, gears, etc). Our team is too small!

I'm sure someone out there would be willing to help us out by writing at least something? Or uploading a few example levels?

Many newcomers are complaining that the game is overwhelming and too complex. We're working on a new Sandbox object menu (based on ideas from the very helpful mrsimb) that will be much easier to navigate in. But we need tutorials and example levels too.

sdac
Site Admin

Re: Help us! We need tutorials and example levels!

Postby Nighthawk » 12 Nov 2013, 18:29

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 0mDw_fjCFZ

i'm developing this playlist, i add a video or two every day.
Nighthawk

Postby woodnut » 12 Nov 2013, 22:08

sdac wrote:We really need tutorials and example levels. Something that introduces the signaling system and how to build basic stuff, example levels anything from a debugger connected to a button to a controllable car. We have http://principiagame.com/help/ but it's not very helpful.

We work as hard as we can on writing the object descriptions, and are very busy working on the new objects (magnets, gears, etc). Our team is too small!

I'm sure someone out there would be willing to help us out by writing at least something? Or uploading a few example levels?

Many newcomers are complaining that the game is overwhelming and too complex. We're working on a new Sandbox object menu (based on ideas from the very helpful mrsimb) that will be much easier to navigate in. But we need tutorials and example levels too.

Any special word you would like in the title for search reasons ? Or just the object name we are showing the example of ?
My Principia account :
woodnut
My Apparatus accounts
- T. Dickson - T.D. - Woodnut - Woods-myth
Please support Huntington disease research.
woodnut

Postby pajlada » 12 Nov 2013, 22:09

woodnut wrote:Any special word you would like in the title for search reasons ? Or just the object name we are showing the example of ?

As long as the object name or whatever it is you're attempting to show is in the title, that would be alright.
Worst case scenario, we change the title :D
pajlada

Postby Rubicon » 12 Nov 2013, 22:27

sdac wrote:We really need tutorials and example levels. Something that introduces the signaling system and how to build basic stuff, example levels anything from a debugger connected to a button to a controllable car. We have http://principiagame.com/help/ but it's not very helpful.

There's already quite a few helpful levels out there but the problem is that they're scattered and hard to find, you just need to add the links to the info boxes. But some people might need a much more basic tutorial, we were in their shoes so we know the feeling. I'll try putting out what I can :)
My Apparatus Accounts:
Rubicon4x4
Rubicon
RubiconX
Rubicon

Postby deathtopolicia » 13 Nov 2013, 01:36

hello all.
to be onest, all of what i will gonna say is from my point of view and my taste ,you know collors and tastes cant be discussed :) .. first i installed principia on a galaxy note 3 and is full hd display. so lately i tried enter into sandbox and start building something and in some way i found some dificulties.. the problems are various.
first that the menu and side panel is to small. but that can be modified, lets take it that new players forget to do that or dont know how.
second when i tilt around or zoom it moves to fast ,so whenever i put an object out it will zoom out/in our tilt the "cam", therefor a fix cam could be a option in sandbox and a manual zoom.
third problem would be that there is no redo undo button.
4th maybe it has something to do with second , lets say i build a tank. in my case i opend in sandbox alfajim's tank. and i tried to remove the traks to learn how he build it. and glitches appeard and sometimes the tank went crazy or the traks stucked into the tank parts. glit.h or bugs. then i start maiking my own, start from scratch. but is a bit dif cu select objects. when i zoom in it zooms to much. when i try to move the object i move it to far. objects sometimes apper that they are not solid and enter in eachother , or something like that.
so i think that if all this problems would be solved ppl that now ar actualy complaining will be more abble to build if none of this problems would keep them back . these are the reason why i stoped building anything . i also tryed to connect a bluetooth mouse and put object on the screen and start something but nothing better.

if players could not be held back by this issues i think they could discover easier how to build. but when it takes 5 minutes to just plug a cable into 2 electronics and snap them to a wood plank, then is not fun and it becomes hard.
my experience it may appear to dramatic but i am sure is easy to fix. thats my case for my kind of device. if i would gonna start building in this situation it would take days . and for sure many of the builds around are in pc sand box. i mean the most complex ones, are made of ppl that have pc version of the game. is easy for them . building that on my phone would mean to rip of my hair. i didnt try on my galaxy note 2 that has a lower res, but i sow that there is some person with a galaxy note 2 that comented on google play store at principia comments and he isnt to happy
deathtopolicia

Postby woodnut » 13 Nov 2013, 02:59

Hi deathtopolicia,
I would like to help with a couple things.My samsung note moved too fast when swiping the screen or zoom . I reduced speed at the control panel -input on my note to almost very lowest and this made an improvement at the game for me :)
Sorry I don't think any builds are from a pc after the android release because beta copy was auto linked to publish at a site that is now closed . I can not publish from my PC beta , maybe sdac or pajlada can .
Hope this clears some things for ya. :)
My Principia account :
woodnut
My Apparatus accounts
- T. Dickson - T.D. - Woodnut - Woods-myth
Please support Huntington disease research.
woodnut

Postby smivps2 » 13 Nov 2013, 04:42

I can do more of these, perhaps prettier, or all on the computer even, if it would help.
Attachments
1384185602051.jpg
1384185602051.jpg (100.96 KiB) Viewed 4913 times
smivps2

Postby deathtopolicia » 13 Nov 2013, 17:10

woodnut wrote:Hi deathtopolicia,
I would like to help with a couple things.My samsung note moved too fast when swiping the screen or zoom . I reduced speed at the control panel -input on my note to almost very lowest and this made an improvement at the game for me :)
Sorry I don't think any builds are from a pc after the android release because beta copy was auto linked to publish at a site that is now closed . I can not publish from my PC beta , maybe sdac or pajlada can .

oo thanks for ur reply. useful enough for me. but normal users have easy access to control the zoom or swipe speed? that would be useful . and about builds on pc. i meant that cuz i tried to play a level from nighthawk that says is disabled on android. therefor i thought it was built on pc. any way the true is for some of us is aa bit dificult for the moment to build. is like trying to play pool in a pool full of water . for me at least
deathtopolicia

Postby deathtopolicia » 15 Nov 2013, 17:03

woodnut wrote:Hi deathtopolicia,

no pc? http://principiagame.com/level/476
Nighthawk: @hyper: well i was willing to do more, but beta that i have is not working properly anymore, and i have no android device. so i will just wait for PC version.
i'm expecting from you A LOT dude. :)
deathtopolicia

Next

Return to Principia