Game UI

Game UI

Postby mrsimb » 17 Aug 2012, 16:13

Hello. All players know that value sliders in the game are inconvenient. Very hard to make same values one different thrusters, for example. I want show you one application, that have very nice value changing round. Not slider. Link - EveryCircuit Free.
mrsimb

Re: Game UI

Postby sdac » 17 Aug 2012, 16:35

Don't worry man, there are much more buttons than in Apparatus. And when configuring the control panel, you can place them manually on the screen.

test_1.png
test_1.png (10.14 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

See the thing down in the bottom right corner, that one is perfect for controlling the servo motors in Principia. Servo motors are motors that instead of rotating in one direction, they rotate towards a target angle. So if you are building robots, you would use this widget in the control panel and then manually wire that output socket to your circuit board and process it as you wish.

test_2.png
test_2.png (18.78 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

And here is the actual configuration screen where you drag stuff. You see on each widget which output socket (OUT0, OUT1, ..., OUTN) the signal is sent through.

Sliders are still used for configuring some objects though, like rocket thrust, but the slider has "steps" so it should be pretty easy to set the exact same value on several rockets. The current numeric value of the slider is also printed on the screen as you change it.
sdac
Site Admin

Postby mrsimb » 17 Aug 2012, 17:06

First creenshot! :o
The slider is so small... Is that ring in right bottom corner is alternative for slider? In first screenshot.
Last edited by mrsimb on 17 Aug 2012, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
mrsimb

Postby sdac » 17 Aug 2012, 17:08

mrsimb wrote:First creenshot! :o
The slider is so small... Is that ring in right bottom corner is alternative for slider?

The size of the slider can be adjusted, and the screenshot was downscaled from 1920x1080 which is the resolution I use when developing, that is why everything appears very small. The buttons are 1cm on the screen on any device, and there's an option to scale the UI as well.

The ring in the bottom right corner, see that little black knob on it, you move the knob around the centre and the angle is output as a signal.

Each widget is independent btw, so the slider is not connected to the knob (although it might appear that way since the knob is pointing towards the sliders position, but that's just a coincident).
sdac
Site Admin

Postby mrsimb » 17 Aug 2012, 17:13

Okay. When do you plan uploading the first release? By the way my pc screen is 1920x1080 too.
mrsimb

Postby sdac » 17 Aug 2012, 17:18

I want to release the game as soon as possible, but I need to fine-tune a few small things first. Mostly its basic parameters like maximum motor torque and physical properties such as material restitution and friction, but altogether its still quite time consuming, I'm hurrying. :)
sdac
Site Admin

Postby mrsimb » 17 Aug 2012, 17:27

In apparatus i was changing value with hex editor, but it's takes a long time. And solution is that rings like in EveryCircuit app. Just try it. When user achived max value, the numbers on corcle will increase. Bigger and bigger value when user rotating it clockwise, laps by laps. Same with smaller value. Sorry for my English. Good luck.
mrsimb

Postby sdac » 17 Aug 2012, 17:30

mrsimb wrote:In apparatus i was changing value with hex editor, but it's takes a long time. And solution is that rings like in EveryCircuit app. Just try it. When user achived max value, the numbers on corcle will increase. Bigger and bigger value when user rotating it clockwise, laps by laps. Same with smaller value. Sorry for my English. Good luck.

Ah I see what you mean, but hopefully that will not be needed since the value of the slider is printed on the screen when you change it now, I think that should suffice.
sdac
Site Admin

Postby conlowe » 17 Aug 2012, 17:37

great minds think alike. i was just working on a bulldozer build n was wishing the sliders had garduations or detents. i like the idea of having the values displayed on screen as well.
conlowe

Postby Fletch97 » 17 Aug 2012, 17:40

Looks great
Fletch97

Next

Return to Principia