Maintenance August 19-20, 2012

Maintenance August 19-20, 2012

Postby sdac » 19 Aug 2012, 16:07

The Apparatus community section, including databases, levels and level screenshots, will be transferred from an old server to a new server. Due to the size of all the data, the transfer can not be made entirely seamless and the community section will be set to read-only during the transfer.

The transfer should not take longer than 2 hours.

The new server, on which this forum runs, will be rebooted and made unavailable for a maximum of 10 minutes on the 20th to complete the transfer.
sdac
Site Admin

Re: Maintenance August 19-20, 2012

Postby Rubicon » 19 Aug 2012, 16:50

Thanks for the heads up.
My Apparatus Accounts:
Rubicon4x4
Rubicon
RubiconX
Rubicon

Postby hyper » 19 Aug 2012, 17:55

thanx for letting us know dude :D
I am the following usernames on apparatus:
The_Enigma
yoyo
hellsbells
HYPER
Dino-bot
and finally booya, loki, man in the moon and event horizon (it would only allow 5 urls).lol
hyper

Postby deathtopolicia » 19 Aug 2012, 18:31

sdac wrote:The Apparatus community section, including databases, levels and level screenshots, will be transferred from an old server to a new server. Due to the size of all the data, the transfer can not be made entirely seamless and the community section will be set to read-only during the transfer.

The new server, on which this forum runs, will be rebooted and made unavailable for a maximum of 10 minutes on the 20th to complete the transfer.

hey, the servers you using are from SE? the new one also?
i was just thinkng about rackspace or linode servers as they are very fast 1GB/s ... i work with thoes servers and i Love them
deathtopolicia

Postby sdac » 19 Aug 2012, 18:46

deathtopolicia wrote:
sdac wrote:The Apparatus community section, including databases, levels and level screenshots, will be transferred from an old server to a new server. Due to the size of all the data, the transfer can not be made entirely seamless and the community section will be set to read-only during the transfer.

hey, the servers you using are from SE? the new one also?
i was just thinkng about rackspace or linode servers as they are very fast 1GB/s ... i work with thoes servers and i Love them

It's a Dell server, and it's a monster. It has 4 separate 10GBit/s ports, 48 GB RAM, 24 cores at 3.3 GHz, and two mirrored 15K RPM SAS-discs. The idea is that the server should be powerful enough to handle multiplayer games (like what we discussed in the other thread). I rent a rack for the server and a few other servers at a nearby co-location company.

Anyway I need to move everything to that new server since the old servers were just rented servers (which gets very expensive in the long term), while for this new server I just need to rent space and pay bandwidth and electricity.
sdac
Site Admin

Postby deathtopolicia » 19 Aug 2012, 19:04

It's a Dell server, and it's a monster. It has 4 separate 10GBit/s ports, 48 GB RAM, 24 cores at 3.3 GHz, and two mirrored 15K RPM SAS-discs. The idea is that the server should be powerful enough to handle multiplayer games (like what we discussed in the other thread). I rent a rack for the server and a few other servers at a nearby co-location company.

Anyway I need to move everything to that new server since the old servers were just rented servers (which gets very expensive in the long term), while for this new server I just need to rent space and pay bandwidth and electricity.

wait is a monster? thats a CRAZY MONSTER ... as for the band, the 10GB/S thats good , but as for the ram and the 24 cores? thats to much u kknow? i hope you dont get to pay all thoes resources for nothing, i mean hope the games will make use of them wich i doubt. Apparatus is just a upload download file game, it can run on a intel atom with lighthttpd, for example. I dont know what principia will be like, but not even world of warcraft needs that much power.

and BTW 10GB/s ports? thoes are network adaptors? right?, you dont mean thats the internet bandwith it will have, cuz if so thats to expensive. and about the HDD even if is 15k , me ,personaly, i would think about usign some enterprise SSD like revo from ocz, or some intel , they are cheap and you will get a very fast access times. i am using ssd`s since 2009 and thats the future.

I rent a rack for the server and a few other servers at a nearby co-location company.
well we have to consider that there will be players from all around the world and they would love accessing the levels as fast as possible, or better say, if a multiplayer mode will be available, ping times will have to be low to run the game smooth.... i am just talking about what i would do , not what you should ... is just my opinion
deathtopolicia

Postby sdac » 19 Aug 2012, 20:05

deathtopolicia wrote:

wait is a monster? thats a CRAZY MONSTER ... as for the band, the 10GB/S thats good , but as for the ram and the 24 cores? thats to much u kknow? i hope you dont get to pay all thoes resources for nothing, i mean hope the games will make use of them wich i doubt. Apparatus is just a upload download file game, it can run on a intel atom with lighthttpd, for example. I dont know what principia will be like, but not even world of warcraft needs that much power.

and BTW 10GB/s ports? thoes are network adaptors? right?, you dont mean thats the internet bandwith it will have, cuz if so thats to expensive. and about the HDD even if is 15k , me ,personaly, i would think about usign some enterprise SSD like revo from ocz, or some intel , they are cheap and you will get a very fast access times. i am using ssd`s since 2009 and thats the future.

I rent a rack for the server and a few other servers at a nearby co-location company.
well we have to consider that there will be players from all around the world and they would love accessing the levels as fast as possible, or better say, if a multiplayer mode will be available, ping times will have to be low to run the game smooth.... i am just talking about what i would do , not what you should ... is just my opinion

Yes by 10GB/s I meant the cards themselves, the bandwidth is 1GBit/s, it's very cheap here.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and advice.
I do not like SSDs since every SSD I have tried has broken, and when they break the data is lost forever. Unlike a magnetic disc which you can put on fire, run over with a tank, send out in space, and still be able to recover data from it.

The server is so powerful in preparation for future multiplayer games, not in preparation to run the principia community section lol.
sdac
Site Admin

Postby marcel_fail » 19 Aug 2012, 20:35

hey nice that you said it to us, principia is going to be a classiker (a awesome classiker)
any Infos for realising date ?
marcel_fail

Postby deathtopolicia » 19 Aug 2012, 20:38

sdac wrote:Yes by 10GB/s I meant the cards themselves, the bandwidth is 1GBit/s, it's very cheap here.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and advice.
I do not like SSDs since every SSD I have tried has broken, and when they break the data is lost forever. Unlike a magnetic disc which you can put on fire, run over with a tank, send out in space, and still be able to recover data from it.

The server is so powerful in preparation for future multiplayer games, not in preparation to run the principia community section lol.

you welcome. there is much i know about servers and stuff. dont know if can help, but as i see, you dont realy need to much help, or i dont know :)
and about ssd, well i got some that broke, but that was before, when SSD technology was young, now i got to trust them. aand normal HDD with spinning parts will always be the best and you are right, are almost invincible, but not shock proof;) and as i remember sweeden is far away from earthquake`s :)) so therefore HDD s are what you need. i was just saying but in real world would not make eny difference.
and what i understand is that there are future projects that you plan, future games :) thats nice to hear
deathtopolicia

Postby mrsimb » 21 Aug 2012, 05:31

apparatusgame.com > 404 Not Found
mrsimb

Next

Return to News & announcements